The notes below are from the Victoria County History printed in 1932. Not much has changed in Woodhurst except the shops have closed and been converted to dwellings and so have many of the former agricultural buildings and the Chapel of St. John
Woodhurst lies to the north of St. Ives and covers an area of 1,823 acres, over two-thirds of which is arable land. The soil is clay and for the greater part the land is above the 100 ft. contour.
The village is a typical woodland ring fence settlement. It lies round what is roughly an oblong formed by two roads—Church Street on the north and South Street on the south, joined at the ends; from the middle of the ends, roads go to Bluntisham and Old Hurst. Probably at one end or the other stood St. John's Cross, of which mention is made in 1545. Around this oblong are the farm houses, shops and cottages of the village. They are for the most part modern, as the village was almost entirely destroyed by a fire in 1834, but a few 17th-century cottages remain, partially modernised. The parochial chapel of St. John is in the middle on the north side of Church Street and a lane called Church Lane runs southward from it to South Street. The Manor House stands at the north-east corner of the village. It is a large brick house with tiled roofs partly built in the 17th and partly in the 18th century. It contains some 18thcentury fittings including a staircase and panelling. There is also an early 18th-century brick house on the north side of South Street. A homestead moat northeast of the Manor House, called Spinney Moat, may represent the site of the old Manor House.
Victoria County History; Huntingdonshire ~ 1932